Monday, March 28, 2011

Something Savory


Sweets are my biggest weakness!  I am obsessed with chocolate and ice cream. This past weekend I was asked to make something for a bake sale to benefit Women For Stronger Neighborhoods (the PAC/non-for-profit mentioned in a post several weeks ago). I was at a loss. Honestly, I am not much of a baker. The one time I decided to focus on baking, I gained 10 pounds in a month and quickly realized it was time to take a break from cupcakes and banana bread.

For this task, I was inspired to make something savory rather than sweet after seeing Martha Stewart on The Today Show making savory pies from her new book, Martha Stewart Pies and Tarts. (As you can see, I’m being really productive in my retirement!)

Below is a simple recipe I received for a Ham and Leek Tart from my friend Malia’s French Au Pair. Using crème fraiche instead of eggs makes it absolutely to die for!

Ham and Leek Savory Tart

Ingredients:

1 package of pre-made piecrust
2 heads of leeks chopped finely
1/2 -1 package of chopped ham
1 teaspoon of dry mustard (curry is also delicious alternative)
2/3 - 3/4 tub of crème fraiche
1/2 block of Gruyère cheese shredded
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350o

Boil the chopped leaks for 15-20 minutes and strain. Sauté the ham for two to three minutes to burn off some of the excess fat. (This is optional)

Line a thin tart pan with a piecrust and fill with leeks, ham and mix in the crème fraiche. Add dry mustard and a dash of salt and pepper. Top with Gruyère.

Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until cheese is brown and bubbling on top. Slice and serve.

Cold leftovers are also tasty. We sold cold slices during the event last night and they went like hot cakes!  

1 comment: