Thursday, March 17, 2011

Reinventing Retirement

I have been referring to my time off of work to “reinvent myself” as my “retirement.” Last week I took this to heart and went to Vero Beach, Florida where my grandparents retired in the early 1970’s and where my mom has spent the last four winters. While this is the third year I’ve made the trek down to visit my mom, it was the first time since my grandmother was alive that I’ve had more than a few days to explore.

Vero Beach was long referred to as “Dodger Town” since the Dodgers conducted spring training there from the late 1940’s until 2008. I wasn’t sure how much excitement it offered spring training had moved to Arizona and was pleasantly surprised by the fashionable hotels and good shopping.

Located on Florida’s Atlantic coast, Vero Beach is at the northern tip of what is referred to as the “Treasure Coast” – about an hour and a half drive north from West Palm Beach. I’ve always stayed on Orchid Island, a coastal barrier island between the Indian River and the Atlantic Ocean. In my opinion, the beaches of Vero Beach rival Martha’s Vineyard and Harbour Island in The Bahamas among the most pristine and beautiful in the world.  The town has always attracted fisherman and water sports lovers.

After a bit of research, I booked myself a massage at Costa d’Este, a boutique hotel refurbished by Gloria Estefan and her husband, which opened in 2008. In the mid-1990’s I did PR for several hotels in Miami’s burgeoning South Beach and always loved grabbing a drink at Cardozo Hotel -- one of the first boutique hotels to open on Ocean Drive. Ironically, Costa d’Este is located on Vero Beach’s Ocean Drive and its opening also marked a hospitality renaissance for Vero Beach.  The resort’s contemporary décor gives the 1950’s property a fresh and fun atmosphere. I thoroughly enjoyed my hot lava shell massage, but sadly, couldn’t enjoy the cool pool area due to the rain.

Another evening, we headed to The Vero Beach Hotel & Spa, operated by Kimpton, for dinner. The newly built resort offers a selection of condominiums and resort accommodations right on the beach and steps from the downtown shopping district. We had a drink on the patio near the wonderful fire pit and an excellent dinner at Cobalt. The West Indian-style interiors give Cobalt an elegant feel and the food is delicious! I had the duck and the scallops also get rave reviews.

For those who prefer more relaxed dining and activities, Vero Beach still has plenty to offer.  Bobby’s Restaurant and Lounge, where my grandmother had a burger every Sunday night is still operating and if you’re lucky, you might spot a retired Dodger player while you’re there.  


 
Pictured above are the patio bar area at the Vero Beach Hotel & Spa and the beach near my mom's house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment